Images of Royal Tunbridge Wells Town Centre
Tesco in Grosvenor Road / corner Hanover Road - June 2003


Tesco, Grosvenor Road/Hanover Road, Tunbridge Wells, 20.06.2003


On this site in Grosvenor Road / corner Hanover Road stood once the Roman Catholic Church of St. Augustine. The Church opened in July 1838 and was demolished in 1968 to be replaced by a supermarket. Tesco Supermarket occupy this building of inspired ( ! ) design.

We learn from the Conservation Area Appraisal, November 2000: "Grosvenor Road is dominated by the stark flank of the Tesco supermarket."
Additionally, the premises are marked as intrusion on the town centre map of the appraisal's visual analysis.

The ugly box stands at a stone-throw off the new posh developments visioned by Royal Tunbridge Wells urban-regeneration process !
Shopaholics, is this your kind of paradise?



Continue to browse the interactive Map of Tunbridge Wells Town Centre

The Telephone House Neighbours Association informs on CALA Homes (South) Development:
CALA Group acquired the controversial planning permission for the high density development of Telephone House site, Church Road / York Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1.